Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is My Purpose?

So, lately, I been thinking about my purpose in life and what God is calling me to do in the phase of my life right now. On Tuesdays, I go to this amazing, thought-provoking small group called Look Closer and I love how we dissect the movies we watch prior to meeting together to discuss how the movie can be relevant in our Christian life. So tonight, the movie was Jarhead and we had a conversation about the movie. So premise of this movie is how this main character is a Marine who trains to be a sniper during the Desert Storm War in Iraq and theme that resonates in the movie is characters attempt to find his purpose in life. So before I go deeper into my thoughts, I have to be honest, I don't like violence especially when there's fighting and death involved. For most part, I was able to watch the movie without closing my eyes too many times so I was able to comprehend the movie more than looking away. So purpose in life, the main character joins the Marine because he is searching for his identity and his meaning in life or this is what I gathered from the movie and also from the discussion in the small group. I feel I can relate to the main character of Jarhead, Tony, somewhat because right now I have no clue what my purpose in life looks like or what I should be doing with my life. I know God has rekindled a passion in my heart but I don't know what I should do with my passion and how to use my passion in my life. On top of this, I am struggling internally about loving my "neighbors". Don't get me wrong, I love my family, friends and people I meet daily; however, there are times when I don't have the love in my heart toward certain people who may irritate or anger me. I don't get angry easily toward people because I am a recovering people pleaser and also if I get upset, I usually bottle them up. I am learning that when someone does make me upset, it's better to deal with that right away rather than storing that inside me, same goes with anger. Jesus knew that it was unhealthy and harmful for people to keep in the anger and He commanded us to reconcile with people before coming to the alter of the Lord. I love the concept of being reconciled with people and especially with God. Here I am, a human being who make mistake and bring grief to God; however, Jesus came to reconcile us with God. How amazing is that! I am so grateful to know that I am a daughter of the Most High King and be part of serving to advance the kingdom of God. I may not know what my purpose in life but I know I serve a Great God who put me on this earth for a reason I don't know right now or maybe find out when I go to heaven. One thing I know, I want to be where God is and if that means He wants me to stay here in DC or go overseas, I will do so wherever He leads me. I pray that God will bless you and keep you. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment