Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Passion vs. Practicality

I am in a crossroad in my life. At one hand, I am passionate about human rights issue in North Korea but on the other hand, I obtained a graduate degree in speciality in counseling dealing with employment and people with disability. One is a passion and the other is practical that is I seek out a job that will allow me to use my degree. I mean I received a grant to complete the degree and way to payback for the grant is by paying back by working in the field for time I spent in my graduate program. I think going into the graduate program, I really was passionate about serving the population with disability and counseling vocational issues; however, after I have completed the program, I have this bad taste in my mouth from the graduate program. I enjoyed meeting my colleagues and learning about the speciality but what made me less passionate was just the situations I had to go through to get the degree and graduate from the program. I confess if I had to do it over again, I would not attend that graduate program and would have chosen to pursue another study of concentration. I know now that when the passion comes out of enthusiasm then it's not really a passion. God did not put the passion in my heart to serve the people with disability dealing with employment issues. I was the one who thought I was passionate about the matter not listening to what God was saying in my heart. God did however put a passion in my heart about human rights issue in North Korea. I think for a long time God has been tugging at my heart about North Korea and how He cares about the people in North Korea. As I have learned more about the human rights issue in North Korea, I get so angry and so sad that there is such an inhumane condition going on over there. I have been reading books and attending events; however I want to do more than that. I don't know how that looks and how I am going to do it but I know that God will provide a way. I think God is still preparing my heart and even though I am not working in a job that I am passionate about. Through each experience, I know that I am getting closer to God's will. So, I am debating what to do. To follow my passion or be more practical and get a job that I may or may not enjoy. It's easier said then done. Right now, all I can do is give it to God and pray for His guidance and wisdom. In few days, I will know but for now I put my trust and hope in the Lord who is faithful and all-knowing. He knows the plan for my life and He will direct my path. I pray I don't pick the easy road and I pray I seek His face daily. I pray that God will show you love and grace today. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment