Sunday, December 21, 2008

Family

As I reflect on my life these days, I am so thankful for my family. I think it's so easy to take my family for granted and treat my family not as nicely than I should treat them. Coming back home for the holiday, I am realizing how much I appreciate my parents and my little brother. I am thankful that my mom cooks me home-cooked meals and in a motherly way tells me not to eat out so much as I do. I am thankful that my dad tells me not to worry about the financial and gives me allowances to spend. I am thankful that my little brother and I have conversations that really challenges me personally and he points out from every angle rather than looking at it in a one perspective. I am utterly grateful that God gave me such great family! And I can't forget my dog and I am thankful my dog likes me enough to get excited whenever he sees me even if I haven't seen him for a long while. I feel so welcomed and accepted that I am not sure I want to go back to DC. Okay, so I probably would be ready to go back in about a week or so but for right now, I am comfortable say the least. As much as I feel comfortable, I feel like this is not the place God wants me in my life right now. Maybe, God will lead me back to Texas someday but I have this tugging at my heart that I am where I am for a reason that I don't really know very much. Leaving Texas for the first time was really hard. I mean, my family and my closest friends are in Texas. Texas culture is different from the DC culture and I was culture shocked when I arrived in DC. Nevertheless, I have grown to love DC and the people I have met there. I consider my church family as my second family away from home. I feel like the church is like this big family with many different types of people who constitute the family.  I love teaching my 4-5 year old or kids who are in Kindergarten at church and even though they are not my children, I call them my kids because I learn so much from them as much I may teach them about love of Christ. I love serving in my church and I try to get involved as much as possible whether that be volunteering or  to be a member or leader in a small group. I consider my closest friends in DC as also my family and I love spending time with them. I feel like I have so many brothers and sisters that I love having a 'big family'. Someday, if God is willing, I hope to have a family of my own. That being said, I do not want a family anytime soon because I feel like there's so much I need to learn about life and following Christ. I grown much in past few years but I think there's still much room for growth. I can't wait to go to Ethiopia and be surrounded by sisters and brothers in Christ there as well as loving people just as Christ loved us first. Just thinking about that makes me happy. I hope that you will be able to spend your time with your family or 'family' today and thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment