Sunday, December 28, 2008

Love My Neighbors...

Jesus commanded us to "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:30-31) This morning I went to two worship services. One at my parents' Korean church and the other at the English church that I grew up here in Texas. I think God was trying to infuse the message of loving my neighbor as myself for this last Sunday in 2008. Who exactly is my neighbor? I was pondering about this as I listened to the sermons. Both of the sermons was about letting go of myself and loving my neighbors. Thinking and considering others before I even have chance to pity or think highly of myself. To deny myself the opportunity to think of myself and serving others without analyzing the people I am serving. When I researched the definition of 'neighbor', the Merriam-Webster's dictionary defined the word as one living or located near another and second definition was a fellow man (or human as indicated on the free dictionary online). I think of neighbors as those living next door to me or live in the same city or state but considering people outside my proximity as my neighbor, I don't know about that one. However, as I read in the Bible, Jesus had broader definition of what my neighbors are and He says in Luke 6:27-28, "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." I think it's so much easier to love someone who loves me back but Jesus further tells us "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." (Luke 6:32-36) Lately, I had moments when it was hard to love one of my 'neighbor' or fellow men/women. I know, Jesus told us to love even our enemies; yet, it has been a struggle for me. It's so much easier to be nice to someone who do the same and it's so much easier to be friends with someone who wants to spend time with me. However, God was trying to tell me the whole time that I need to love my neighbors, not just people I am friends with but even my enemies. It's hard to love rude customers who are mean to me because the coffee wasn't made fast enough or it's hard to love people who discourage or are mean to me just because. I strive to love on people as much as possible and this love is not from me but the overflowing love of Christ who loved me first. In Ephesians 4:29-32, Paul tells the Ephesians "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." It's easier said than done. This year, I had people hurt my heart by being mean or not keeping promises. I am human too and I make mistakes; however, I try my best not to be mean or make promises I can't keep. The hurts has been building up that lately I get irritated when people are mean or make promises I know they would not keep. Throughout the Bible though, forgiveness and love are two concepts that it wants to portray as lifestyle we should strive for. Forgiving people who hurt me and loving them even despite what they did to me. I can't do it on my own for sure but through Christ I can love and forgive. Paul further emphasizes to Philippians "If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:1-4) In a self-centered society, Jesus is instructing us to think not of ourselves but of others. To love fellow humans just as He loved us first. In John 15:12-13, Jesus says, "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." What radical ideas! It's so much easier to love oneself then loving another human being. It's so much easier to love my family and friends than loving the people who don't like me. It's so much easier; however, being a Christian is not about having it easy. I am learning daily that being Christian is one of the hardest things in life. I get angry when I see someone who says they are Christian but treat people like dirt because Christians should treat people with respect and with love. I get angry when these people who say they are Christian but don't do anything about caring for the people who are poor or sick. I know I shouldn't get angry but I think it's more of holy anger that fumes me when I see injustice toward my fellow men/women. As I write this blog, I have realized how human I am and how vulnerable I am. Without Christ, I wouldn't be the person I am now and I would not have the joy or the peace that only Christ gives. To love my neighbor, not just when he or she love me back but loving my neighbor, 24/7, 365 days. It's a tough road but isn't that what Christ commanded us to do? I hope you'll love on people who may not deserve it or just love on someone that may not expect that love from you. Thanks for reading! Jesus loves you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment