Friday, December 26, 2008

Word

One of things my family do when we get together is to do a family worship/bible study time. When I was younger, we did it more frequent; however, since I live away from my family, we usually try to have this family worship/bible study time when I am in town. For Christmas, my dad delivered a message that he felt he wanted the family to remember as we approach the new year. In Luke 4, Jesus is tempted by the devil while Jesus has been fasting for forty days. The devil tempts Jesus three times; yet, each time Jesus responds by quoting the Word of God. Jesus has so well hidden the Word of God in His heart that even though He was human like us, He was able to succeed in resisting the temptations. Of course, the devil only went away temporally to scheme what he could do to hinder Jesus. I was also reading this passage during my morning devotion and I was amazed that my dad, not knowing that I read this earlier on the day would come back to this passage. I think God wanted me to really get the point that I need to be well-armed with His Word and when the world tempts me with all kinds of temptations, I too can resist by having His Word in my heart. In Joshua 1:8-9, the Bible says, "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." What an encouragement! Even though each book of the Bible was written a long time ago, it still is living and active. When I read the Bible, I feel like God is speaking to me through the Word and tug at my heart when I come to specific passage or verse. To live in the Word and not by what this world tells me to live by or for. My foundation is Christ alone. What is your foundation look like? Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment