Monday, December 22, 2008

Waiting

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37 

This morning, I began reading gospel of Luke today as I continue reading through the Bible from Old to New Testament. What a Soverign God we serve! I am amazed by what God does throughout the Bible.  In the Old Testament, I am reading Ezekiah and in the passage I read up to this point, it points to coming of a Savior who will redeem the Israelites. I am not a Bible Scholar by any means and each day I read the Bible, there's something new that God puts on my heart. Days I don't read the Word, I feel like there's something missing in me the whole day and like food, I need to be filled by the Word. Today, the verse that's been really on my heart is the verse above. For those who know me, I am impatient and don't like to wait very much. If a project needs to be done at work, I get on it and get it done by the deadline. If I am meeting a friend or someone, I get to the place early so that the other person doesn't have to wait for me but I don't like the wait then either. I don't like waiting to hear back about a job I applied to months ago. I like to have it done quick and right away. I know I need to be more patient and wait. That's the lesson I am learning a lot these days. Waiting on the LORD. Not jumping to conclusion or taking charge of a situation. I think God is showing me daily that He needs to be the LORD of my life and give the control over to Him. In a society that promotes getting what ones want right away and not wait, I think I got stuck into that message it was sending. From mail delivery to fast foods, a person can usually get what they want in five minuets or less. I know I should know better working at a coffeehouse where some customers think their coffee drink such as lattes will be ready by the time they walk up to the bar and just a side note, lattes take a minute or two to get steamed and plus if there is a long line with customers wanting different kinds of milk, it is going to take a while for that drink to be made. As much as I should know better, I forget the lesson of waiting and being content in waiting. God can do all thing possible; yet, me, an impatient girl starts to worry about the future or anything related to waiting. Jesus tells us not to worry and says, " Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34) What's to worry and stress about? For me, I think I get so focused on what is going on right now that I stress and worry about that even though if I just zoom out and look at what Christ did for me two thousand years ago, I should not be stressing or worrying about the little things. In Colossians 3:12, Paul tells the Colossians, "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." If we are chosen by God, what's keeping us from clothing ourselves with above mentioned traits? I know for me, patience is hard and that's a constant struggle for me. I think I don't like to wait because I feel like I waited all my life. From waiting to get a surgery or waiting to be seen by a doctor for a checkup, I just don't like how I have to wait but patience is what I need most in my life these days. I am no better than someone who is more impatient and who are not follower of Christ if I cannot be patient myself. So, I am going to strive to be more patient and be satisfy with waiting. In Psalm 40:1-4 demonstrates waiting and patience well:"I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods." I hope that we can be more patient and wait on the LORD. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment