Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hope

"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us." Roman 5:5 

I love the word and the concept of hope. This year, I had some rough times and then there were good times as well. Just trying to graduate with a Master's was hard enough but graduating and not having a job was really tough. To be honest, I don't think I would be still in DC unless the hope knowing that God will work out everything for His glory. I considered going back to Texas and letting my parents spoil me as they always do; however, I don't think that's what I am suppose to be. I believe strongly that God wants me in DC for a reason and that in time, I will work in the field that I studied in grad school. There is so much hope that Christ gives and I hope that I live each day following hard after Him. 

Today at church, the pastor gave a sermon about gift of hope and what encouragement it was to listen to that message. As I return to Texas to see my family and friends, I was stressed about what I was going to say about not having a permanent job or why I am still single while most of my friends are already married or engaged or in relationship. I am okay with being single and I feel like that I can serve the LORD more while I am single rather than being preoccupied about the other person. Don't get me wrong, I hope one day I will get married and serve alongside my husband whoever he may be. I think it's funny though that my core friends here in DC are either engaged or in a relationship. I sometime feel like I am the third wheel or the seventh wheel who tag along to activities or events. Oh well, being single is fun actually and I am going to enjoy it as much as possible! :) Anyways, back to the sermon, a comment that the pastor made really struck me. He said that we sometime focus too much on people or events that makes us unhappy yet when we zoom out like what happened 2000 years ago, there is hope and that hope that tomorrow will be better than today. I think I zoom in sometimes on the small things such as being unhappy about a situation or feeling left out when friends don't include me in some activity or another. But, I really need to zoom out and look at what Jesus did 2000 years ago. Celebrating salvation on a daily basis rather than just on Easter. Celebrating Jesus 365, 24/7 rather than just during Christmas time. I strive to live each day like Jesus;yet, I fail at it each day. However, there is hope and Christ gives us hope that even though we fail, He will succeed through us. Thanks for reading! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment