Thursday, January 8, 2009

Love

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -Micah 6:8 

Injustice. It's happening around the world and even here in United States. There is violence and hatred that is unspeakable; yet, it is going on somewhere. Tonight I watched a powerful and intense movie called "Crossing". The film is based on a true story about a North Korea defector and the injustice that is occurring right now. I had many emotional state while watching the movie and one of them was anger. I became angry at the thought of how humans can treat another human being in such a detestable way. Images cross my mind as I reflect on the film and while I am very sad, I am also angry at the injustice. North Korea has a very special place in my heart and I am passionate about the human right issues. I believe that each person has the right to live in peace and right to be a human being, not be treated like dirt. Being human does not mean one can do anything to another person or take advantage of another person. For me, I believe that each person deserve the respect and love no matter what their race, religious belief, gender, culture and any status that person may be. The verse above really hit me lately and I been thinking a lot about what it means to love my neighbor, also loving my enemies and praying for them as Jesus commanded us to do as Christians. For me, North Korea really hits close to home since one of my grandfather's dream was to see the North and South be reunited as one country; however, he did not get to see that dream come true. Watching the film, my heart felt like it was ripped and broken apart into million pieces. I feel frustration, anger and sadness all at once. As I walked back to my apartment from the theater, I was thinking about what is my response going to be? I do not want to stop just here by watching the movie. I want to do more. I am torn between living here in United States where it's rich and plenty versus going overseas to help with human rights issues. I know there's a lot of problem even here in United States and injustice is going on right now. I feel overwhelm by what I am learning about the injustice that is going on and I just want to undo the harm that humans has caused against each other. It feels like there is no hope; yet, there is hope. Hope in Christ. When the world seems to come apart, Christ is the solid rock and foundation that will never falter. I love knowing that there is hope in this unsteady world. Yes, there is injustice but what can we do to stop this? It starts with loving one another and treating people with love and respect. To love not just with words but also with actions. To walk the walk and talk the talk. Not only loving those who love us but loving those who do not expect the love. To love those who are forgotten. To love those who are hurting. To love without caring what other people think about us. To be the sheep rather than the goat. 

"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' " 
-Matthew 25:34-40 

So what is my response? To love and care for the 'least'. To show compassion and mercy. To demonstrate the love of Christ in my life. Not just one time but all the time. Don't get me wrong, I am human too and I am not perfect in anyways. I have my flaws and I make numerous mistakes. However, I strive to love even when it hurts to love and to love people like Jesus. It's hard to love this way. I mean, it is so much easier to love people who return the love and it's so much easier to not care but that's not what it means to be a follower of Christ. To follow Christ wherever He may lead me and to love from the overwhelming love He puts in my heart. 

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgement, because in this world we are like Him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because He first loved us. If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And He has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother." -1 John 4:16-21 

Jesus loves you more than you can imagine and I am going to start loving more, caring more and forgiving more. 

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment