Thursday, January 8, 2009

Social Networking

So, lately I have been on the Facebook way too much. I mean like I am signed on while I am working (I know, I should really not sign on at all during the day) but I like to be signed on and see the status changes from my friends. Really, that's a pathetic excuse and I should attempt to not sign on during the day as much as I am doing right now. I do have to say that I, for a long time, opposed the idea of being on a social networking website such as the Facebook. And then, I finally caved in and joined the Facebook. I actually am glad that I joined because I can re-connect with friends I have not spoken to in ages and also keep in contact with friends who I rarely see or friends who live far away from where I currently live. I also get to communicate with friends who I usually do not see during the week by writing on their wall or sending messages. There's many more reason I feel like social networking website such as the Facebook is effective; however, there's bad side to the social networking websites as well. For example, for a while, I had the privacy setting where all people who were in my network could view my profile and I had some awkward friend requests from people I have no clue how they found me and it's strange how people want to befriend me even though I never ever talked or met them before. Now, I have changed my setting so that random people cannot request to be my friend unless otherwise. That being said, the bad part of changing my setting is that if someone who I know want to befriend me cannot request for being friends unless they have a friend who is in my networks. I like befriending people and I rarely deny request; however, I learned that there's a point of denying access to my profile since some people have some wrong intentions of being my friend. Creepy, I know. Another con regarding social networking website is that it can consume a lot of my time and I tend to sign in and out throughout the day. I want to stay away from the website but when I get an email notifying me that I should check the website, I cannot resist very well from signing into the website. Sigh. The pro of signing into the website, other than wasting time is with the new feature of online chat, I can instantly chat with a friend who wants to chat with me and also prevent me from texting my friends during the day. So, I think social networking website is great idea and I probably will continue to use the website; however, I think I should sign on less often. Keeping in touch with friends is great but I do hate to waste time when I have other things to do. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment