Sunday, January 4, 2009

Who Do You Live For?

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

At NCC, we are going through a series called "Prison" and studying the book of Philippians. I love Philippians because it is a letter to the church of Philippi that Paul writes with joy. Pastor Heather challenged us today especially I felt directed toward me with the question "Who do we live for?" We are imprisoned in our lives with so many things; however, what do we really live for? I was thinking about this question and my answer came to this: I live for Christ, my family and friends. But, what about other people? Going back to the few blogs back, I wrote about loving my neighbor and it connects even here. If I only love those who love me back, what's the use? Even people who are not Christian love those who love them back easily. Still in the 1st Chapter of Philippians in verses 9 through 11, Paul says to the church, "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise to God." To love my neighbor as myself and loving those who don't like me. I try to love people as much I can but the love is not from me but from Christ. I do not think I can love those who does not love me back or mean to me because of my appearance or my personality if I did not have Christ in my heart. It's been really hard lately to love the way Jesus told us to love our neighbor. From friends to strangers, I feel like I give of myself but I don't see the fruits in the relationships. I want to withdraw and be private rather than be enthusiastic about seeing someone when that person does not express that same happiness in seeing me or even care enough to hang out with me. However, in Philippians 1:27 - 28, Paul tells the church, "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved-and that by God." What an encouragement! Some days, I feel like I give encouragements but not necessarily receive encouragement; however, it is better to give than receive. I think I get encouragement when I see someone get encouraged and be blessed by what little words I say to them. In Luke 14: 13-14, Jesus instructs us by saying, "But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." How awesome is that! I think Jesus was telling me through the word that what is done to someone that cannot give back will be noticed by God. I think I rather be noticed by God than by people. People can give compliments or praises to someone that are temporary but God is eternal. I love this verse: "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21) So, who do I live for? I live for Christ and all the people God has created from those who think they are least to those who think they are the greatest. I do not have much to offer but I know one thing that whatever I have I offer it to Christ. To live for Christ with all that I am and not care about what people think of me. I am not beautiful outwardly but I strive to be beautiful inwardly. I want to reflect Christ and love like He does past, present and future. Who do you live for? I pray that you find encouragement in knowing that we live for One that is sovereign and forever God. Thanks for reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment