Sunday, January 18, 2009

What Do You Believe?

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." -Philippians 3:7-11 

It's been pretty crazy and busy week. So, I meant to write this blog but every time I motivated myself to write the blog, I was either too tired to think and write or  I just had more to think about. This past Sunday, Pastor Mark preached a sermon about "Prison of Good Deeds" and "Prison" of remembering the past mistakes. What a challenging sermon for me! I think there are times I am tempted to pat myself on the back for doing a good deed but really, it's not me who spurs me to do something good rather it's Christ in me who tugs at my heart to do something good for someone. I know what it's to keep doing and feeling not good enough. Pastor Mark made a comment that really hit me hard when he said that good deeds is always keep doing to achieve being good enough while Christianity is being done in Christ. Wow, what encouragement! As someone who is a perfectionist, that statement releases me from the prison of trying to be perfect in whatever I do. I know I am not perfect and I know that I am far from being perfect. For a long time, I thought I had to be perfect especially so the focus would not be on my appearance.  I thought that if I was perfect in what I do, then people would not really see the outside. How wrong I was! Some people still treat me differently because of my appearance but it's okay, I rather be beautiful inside rather than be beautiful outside. Then there's prison of remembering the past and while I don't have the greatest memory, I do tend to keep remembering my past. I think this sermon was tailored to me because a. I used to be a perfectionist and b. I tend to remember what I have done in the past (usually more mistakes I done or hurts rather than what I done right or kindness someone shown me). Hearing the sermon gave me encouragement that I need to forgive and forget, let go of the past and it's okay not being perfect. I agree with Pastor Mark that I rather be a working progress than trying to be 'good enough'. So, you are wondering how does what I just explained relate to the title of this blog but it does because in the following story it relates to the title. :) One night this past week when I was working at the coffeehouse, a regular customer came in to get her usual coffee drink and somehow the topic of religion came up. She asked about my Christian beliefs and what was the difference between Protestant Christians and Catholic Christians. I told her what I believed and yes, I believe there are differences between the Protestant Christians and Catholic Christians. I have relatives from my mom side who are Catholics and have friends who are Catholics so I am somewhat familiar with what they believe. One thing that makes my heart break is that some Catholics pray to saints and devote a lot of time to praying to Mary. I say this because I have relatives who pray to saints and to Mary rather than to God. I believe that we as Christians can pray directly to God and Christ paid for the price of our sins. We are saved by the Amazing Grace of God through Christ. There is no greater love that can be compared to what God did for us. Saints are just humans who lived their lives for God and I think if they were alive today, they would tell Christians that they are just human and they are not gods. I think the concept of praying to saints have something to do with the saints interceding for the person praying but isn't Jesus our intercessor? I got frustrated when I was with my Catholic relatives and the difference of beliefs we had. First of all, everything I own is God's and if I lose everything, then who's to say that was mind in the first place? Second, I believe in a God who is all knowing and all powerful. Lastly, I believe in a God who is Love and Justice. I believe that if the focus is not on Christ then it's pointless and I believe Christianity (hence Christ in the name) is all about following Christ in all circumstances. That's why I believe that being a Christian is not easy at all, actually it's a hard and tough road. Don't get me wrong, there are good times; however, I feel like there are times where I struggle and experience hard things in life. What keeps me going? Jesus Christ, my Savior and Lord. God who loves the world so much that He would come down to earth as a man and experience what we go through and then being victorious over death. Overcoming death so that we can truly live. What a Great God we serve! I don't know about you but I rather have Jesus than all the worldly riches or pleasures. That said, there are days when I wish I had millions of dollars so my life would be easy and I can help millions of people but then I remember that it's better to have less. I think if I had lot of money and had an easy life, I wouldn't be the person I am now. I wouldn't be the person I am now if I did not have Christ in my life. I feel blessed and very thankful that I know Christ. I pray that more people will come to know Christ and have the joy that only He can give. So, do you know what you believe? I strive to know Christ each day better and follow hard after Him. And also be firm in what I believe. I pray that you will know Christ and know your beliefs. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment